The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA is actually a form. FAFSA is an annually filled out by potential and present American college students to see if they are eligible for financial aid application. Note that only undergraduate and graduate students can fill out the FAFSA. Note that you should not mix up FAFSA with the CSS Profile. The CSS Profile is a product by the College Board and costs money.
Note that almost all American students can apply for financial aid. Those rare few who are illegible to apply can apply for a Stafford Loan, which is unsubsidized. The Stafford Loan can be applied for no matter what the student’s income or situation may be.
Note that federal student aid is under the US Department of Education. In the US, this department is the biggest giver of financial aid to American students. This department has greater than 1,200 staff members who are focused on allowing students to pay for college through yearly USD 150 billion loans, federal grants, and work-study funds. Every year, greater than 13 million students get to go to their school or college of choice because of the grants for more than 6,200 career colleges and schools.
Registering for Your Online FAFSA Account
If you want to always have access to your FAFSA account, you may want to have an online account with it as well. With this, you can track your funds, your aids, as well as other data. Just follow the steps described below:
(1) Go to https://FAFSA.ed.gov. This is the main website of FAFSA. Do this by typing or copying and pasting the link on the address bar of the web browser.
(2) Search for the “Login” tab found on the center of the web page.
(3) Click on the radio button, “Enter Using the Student’s FSA ID.”
(4) Afterwards, click on “Create” and FSA ID.
(5) Next, a new window will pop up. Scroll down so you can put in and confirm your email address. Then create your username. Your username should be between six (6) to thirty (3) characters in length. You may choose to have a combination of uppercase and lowercase characters as well as numbers.
(6) Next, create then confirm your password of your choice. Your password should be eight (8) to thirty (30) characters in length. It should have at least three (3) of either numbers, letters (lowercase or uppercase), and special characters.
(7) Lastly, click on the radio button to put in your age as to whether you are 12 years old or younger or 13 years old or older. Note that you should be 13 years old or older to have an FSA ID. This is based on the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
(8) Click on “Continue.”
Logging Into Your FAFSA Account
If you already have a FAFSA account and have online access, you can easily log into your FAFSA account. Just follow the next steps.
(1) Go to https://FAFSA.ed.gov by typing the link on the address bar of the web browser.
(2) On that website, look for the “Login” tab. That should be on the middle of the webpage.
(3) In order to log in, put in your student information or your FSA identification number. Note that if you login using your FSA identification number, put in your username or email address and password. If you are logging in using your student information, type your first and last names, birthdate, and social security number.
(4) Click on the “Next” hyperlink.
(5) Now you are in your FAFSA account.
Resetting Your Online FAFSA Password
If you want to reset your password because you forgot it or you think there is some kind of security breach, just do the following steps:
(1) Go to https://FAFSA.ed.gov by copying and pasting the link on the address bar of the web browser. This is the FAFSA main webpage.
(2) Click the tab, “Login” found on the center of the webpage.
(3) Click on the hyperlink, “Edit my FSA ID.”
(4) Underneath the username, click on the hyperlink, “Forgot My Username.”
(5) Afterwards, choose how you would like to get your secure code.
(6) Next, open the email identification in another browser window. Follow the procedures shown on the webpage. You also have the option to answer a challenge question.
(7) As soon as you put in the code correctly or answer a challenge question, you will get your username.